The Israeli Occupation Forces closes the southern entrance of Aqraba village for the sixth time during 2016
- Violation: reclosing Aqraba entrance
- Date: October 16, 2016
- Location: Aqraba town- Nablus governorate
- Perpetrators: Israeli Occupation Forces
- Victims: residents of the village
As part of the collective punishment policy, the Israeli occupation forces closed on October 16, 2016 the southern entrance of Aqraba from the southwest. Note that the entrance links the village to the bypass road number 60 and other Palestinian towns and cities. The closure number 6 yet in 2016 was carried out on the claim of "Security Purposes". Residents of the area are now forced to take a substitute route to reach for their daily destinations. The new route will be through Majdal Bani Fadil or Osarin villages.
Entry and exist to and from the area were restricted, which doubled the suffering of the village's residents. The occupation exhausted Palestinians via its systematic crimes against youth executions, closures, home demolition and violations of Palestinian rights.
Photo 1 & Photo 2: the southern entrance closed by roadblocks
Aerial map illustrating the closure location- from a previous report
It should be marked that the town witnessed to many attacks that Land Research Center documented in the following reports:
- The Israeli occupation confiscates agricultural machineries at a Nablus rehabilitation site (LINK)
- Itamar colonists stop work on a Nablus road (LINK)
- The Israeli Occupation Forces reclose the southern entrance of Aqraba village (LINK)
- Israeli Occupation Forces notify a structure of demolition and a road of stop-work in the Nablus hamlet of Al-Tawil (LINK)
- Israeli Occupation Forces ban the opening of agricultural road in Aqraba town (LINK)
18 kilometers to the southwest of Nablus, Aqraba can be set as an example of a recurrent target for the Israeli occupation attacks.
The village totals 34,660 dunums in area, mostly, agricultural lands. However, the Israeli occupation declared more than 281,000 dunums of the village lands as military zone that Palestinians are not allowed to exploit in any way while soaking the area with various colonies including Gittit. Thus, Aqraba is left with only1, 350 as a built-up area.
Colonies founded on Aqraba lands are expanding on daily basis; they are classified as “agricultural settlements”. In addition, the Israelis have placed numerous watch towers and military encampments in order to control the whole region.
In 1969, ‘Aqraba witnessed the milling of by-pass road “506”, which connects the Israeli colonies to the east of ‘Aqraba to each other and eases the movement of the Israeli Occupation Army vehicles in the area. However, the Palestinians are not allowed to even get near the road.
More than 500 Palestinians reside in nomad gatherings around ‘Aqraba; the residents of these communities face day-to-day threats against their houses, tents, shacks; basically, their existence.
Additionally, the Israeli colonists try to chase these people out of their fields in an attempt to take over the area.
‘Aqraba is inhabited by around 8,180 people with unemployment reaching up to 50% due to the hardships imposed by the Occupiers.
International conventions and laws regarding freedom of movement which Israel unabatedly violates:
- Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person”.
- Article 5: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment”.
- Article 9: “No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile”.
- Article 13: Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
- Article 7 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. In particular, no one shall be subjected without his free consent to medical or scientific experimentation.”
- Article 9: “Everyone has the right to liberty and security of person. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention. No one shall be deprived of his liberty except on such grounds and in accordance with such procedure as are established by law.
The Land Research Center